1862 or 1863 Copper Nickel Indian Head Cent Coin From The Civil War - Fine Condition
- The first nickel was a penny!
- Civil war dated coin from 1862 or 1863.
- These highly collectible civil war era cents feature a mixture of 88% copper and 12% nickel, giving them a much different color than the earlier copper pennies that were still in circulation.
- Designed by James B. Longacre. These cents weigh 4.67 grams and have a diameter of 19 mm. Plain edge.
- Every coin is in Fine condition.
- All coins come in protective plastic.
These Indians circulated heavily during the Civil War and at the time were often called "nickels" or "nics" because the nickel gave them a much different look than the copper pennies that came before. When the Indian Cent went into production in 1859, they were struck in a copper nickel composition that continued for six years. It wasn't until later in 1864, a bronze composition was adopted. Cents were struck in that same basic mixture for the next 100+ years.