2018 Block Island Quarter Coin - S Mint - (UNC) Brilliant Uncirculated
- Released on 11/15/2018.
- Though these San Francisco Mint quarters were struck as Business Strikes, none were released for circulation, ensuring their desirability for years to come!
- The obverse shows a slightly modified version of the original Washington Quarter. The mint moved some of the wording previously found on the reverse to the obverse in order to make more room for the reverse design for each state. You'll find "United States of America," "In God We Trust," "Liberty," and "Quarter Dollar" all spelled out on the obverse of the quarter as well as the coin's mint mark.
- The reverse features a picturesque scene you may find within the wildlife refuge. A black-crowned night-heron is flying through the air in the Cow Cove area of the refuge, home to North Light lighthouse seen in the background.
- The 5 National Parks Released in 2018 were Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan, Apostle Islands National Lakeshore in Wisconsin, Voyageurs National Park in Minnesota, Cumberland Island Seashore in Georgia, and Block Island National Wildlife Refuge in Rhode Island.
- Sovereign coins minted at the San Francisco Branch of the U.S. Mint and backed by the United States government, each with a face value of $0.25. The America the Beautiful Quarter Program began in 2010, but Uncirculated Quarters were not minted at San Francisco until 2012.
The National Wildlife Refuge on Block Island, established in 1973, spans over 130 acres and is a popular stop for birds to rest, refuel, and nest along the Atlantic Flyway, the bird migration route along the East Coast. The refuge is popular among bird lovers and watchers, offering sights of various migratory songbirds and shorebirds, as well as waterfowl and raptors, including Herons, Gulls, Pipers, Plovers, Sparrows, Ducks and Peregrine Falcons. While beautiful views can be found throughout the island, the Cow Cove/North Light area within the refuge is well known for its views of Sachem Pond and the Atlantic Ocean. Visitors can also see Settlers Rock and the Sacred Labyrinth in this area. Block Island also offers many tourist areas beyond the refuge for swimming, recreational sports, lodging and shopping.
All coins come in protective plastic. Orders of 40 or more may ship in tubes.