All 53 1955-1998 United States Proof Coin Sets - Includes 1992-1998 Silver Proof Coin Sets!
Includes Proof Coin Sets issued from 1955-1998:
- (11) 1955-64 Flat Pack Proof Coin Sets (includes 1960 Small Date)
- (3) 1965-67 Special Mint Coin Sets
- (5) 1968-72 Proof Coin Sets (does not include 1970 Small Date)
- (10) 1973-81 Proof Coin Sets (does not include 1979 or 1981 Type II's but does include the 3 Piece 1976 Set)
- 17) 1982-98 Proof Coin Sets
- (7) 1992-98 Silver Proof Coin Sets
- All come in their original mint packaging from the U.S. Mint with any issued certificates.
- All are gem proof, defect-free sets.
- Save by purchasing as a collection instead of individually!
The United States Mint began issuing Brilliant Proof finish coins in Proof Sets in 1936. The coins are extraordinarily brilliant, with sharp relief and a mirror-like background. Their frosted, sculpted foregrounds give them a special cameo effect. Proof blanks are specially treated, polished, and cleaned to ensure high quality strikes. The blanks are then fed into presses fitted with hand-polished dies and struck at least twice to ensure sharp relief. They are wiped clean or polished after every 15-25 impressions and replaced frequently. Each coin is individually inspected for quality twice once minted, then packaged in presentation cases to help maintain their exceptional finish.
Pre-1968, Proof coins were only produced at the Philadelphia Mint branch location, except for a few rare pieces. Current United States Proof Coins are minted at the San Francisco and West Point Mint branches.