2021 Virginia American Innovation Dollar Coin - P or D Mint
- Composed of 88.5% Copper, 6% Zinc, 3.5% Manganese, and 2% Nickel.
- Released 07/27/21 (second 2021 dated release in the series for 2021).
- The obverse features the Statue of Liberty, as well as inscriptions, $1 and IN GOD WE TRUST.
The reverse (tails) design depicts a view of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel as a cross section cut away, illustrating the ingenuity involved in constructing it. Inscriptions are “United States of America” and “Virginia.”
- Lettered edge design featuring the year, mint mark, and motto E PLURIBUS UNUM.
- Sovereign coin backed by the United States government with a face value of $1.
- The American Innovation Dollar Coin Series replaced the Presidential Dollar Coin Program and will issue 56 issues total, one for each state and U.S. territory and one for the District of Columbia.
- Each dollar coin will be in uncirculated condition.
Select either 'P' - Philadelphia Mint or 'D' - Denver Mint from the drop-down options menu located above. Singles will ship in 2x2 plastic coin holders. Roll quantities of 25 or more will ship in plastic dollar tubes.
The American Innovation Dollar Coin Series replaced the Presidential Dollar Coin Program and will run through 2032 allowing for one issue from each state. After all the states have been issued, coins recognizing the District of Columbia and each U.S. Territory will be issued.
The American Innovation $1 Coin representing Virginia honors the Chesapeake Bay Bridge- Tunnel, recognized as an engineering marvel of the modern world.
Opened in 1964 and spanning more than 17 miles of open water, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel connects southeastern Virginia to the Delmarva Peninsula. It consists of 12 miles of low-level trestle, two mile-long tunnels, two bridges, two miles of causeway, and four man-made islands.