2021-P 5 oz Burnished Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site ATB Silver Coin
- Contains 5 oz of .999 fine Silver.
- The coin comes encapsulated inside of its government issued packaging, accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity.
- The obverse features a portrait of George Washington along with the inscriptions "United States of America," "Liberty," "In God We Trust" and "Quarter Dollar."
- The reverse depicts a Tuskegee Airman pilot suiting up to join the fight during World War II with the Moton Field control tower in the background. The pilot looks upward with pride and confidence as two P-51 Mustangs pass overhead. The inscription “THEY FOUGHT TWO WARS” is arced across the top as a reference to the dual battles the Tuskegee Airmen fought—fascism abroad and racial discrimination at home. Other inscriptions are "TUSKEGEE AIRMEN," "ALABAMA," "2021," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM."
- This is the first and final release of 2021 and the final release of the America the Beautiful series.
- These large 5 ounce coins are guaranteed by the U.S. Mint mint and have a diameter of 3 inches!
Established in 1998, the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site commemorates the heroic actions and achievements of the famous Tuskegee Airmen. It preserves five historic structures used during primary flight training during World War II—Moton Field, Hangar I, bath and locker building, All Ranks (Skyway) Club, and Hangar II, which includes the control tower.
The Tuskegee Airmen included a diverse group of both men and women. They numbered nearly 1,000 pilots and more than 15,000 support staff, including navigators, bombardiers, and mechanics. During World War II, Tuskegee Airmen destroyed more than 260 enemy aircraft and numerous enemy installations, with several aviators giving their lives for their country. The Airmen were awarded numerous high honors including 150 Distinguished Flying Crosses, 14 Bronze Stars, as well as Legions of Merit, Silver Stars, and Purple Hearts.