2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin - NGC MS-70 Proof Like - NGC Brown Label
- Contains 1 troy oz of 24k .9999 fine gold.
Low mintage of 114,427. Only 2,235 were given the NGC MS-70 PL designation making this a Top Pop piece through NGC.
- This coin has been certified as being MS-70 Proof Like, by NGC - the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation, one of the leading third party grading companies.
- Proof Like Designation on Mint State Coin showing off tons of luster and no blemishes. This coin is as fresh as they get.
- These coins have been given the Ultra High Relief designation because the design elements on the coin raise above the fields making the design more bold and dramatic than the standard modern coin.
- The obverse (heads) features Lady Liberty in stunning Ultra High Relief detail making the design pop off the coin. You also see the words “LIBERTY” and “MMIX”.
The reverse (tails) features a depiction of a gliding bald eagle in the sky with the sun rising from the bottom of the coin. The design is inspired by the reverse of the St. Gaudens Double Eagle. Inscriptions include "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” “TWENTY DOLLARS" and "IN GOD WE TRUST".
- This coin also features edge lettering with " E PLURIBUS UNUM" with stars separating each letter. There are 13 of those stars along the rim, paying tribute to the original 13 colonies that formed the United States.
- Sovereign gold coin backed by the United States government with a face value of $20.00 (USD).
The 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin shows the Nation and the world the very best the United States Mint has to offer. The 21st century vision of the United States Mint, combined with technological advances, enabled the United States Mint to realize the previously unattainable goal of making the coin accessible to all Americans.
Through 21st century technology and the vision of Director Ed Moy, original Saint-Gaudens coin plasters were digitally mapped by the United States Mint. Using the digital design and die-making process, the Saint-Gaudens sculpture—in ultra high relief—has been updated to reflect the year 2009, an additional four stars to represent the current 50 states, and the inscription “In God We Trust,” which was not on the 1907 version.
Additionally, a small border was added for a more consistent edge. The 2009 coin was made of 24-karat gold. Pure 24-karat gold is much more malleable than 22-karat or 90% gold coins, making it better material for striking the ultra high relief.