1964 United States Silver Proof Coin Set (Flat-Pack) - Accent Hair Kennedy Half Dollar!
- U.S. Mint Flat-Pack Silver Proof Coin Set housed in original cellophane with separate sealed compartments for each coin. Comes with its manila envelope.
- Features a proof example of a 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar, Washington Quarter, Roosevelt Dime, Jefferson Nickel and Lincoln Cent.
- Mintage of 3,950,762 sets.
- First year of mintage for the Kennedy Half Dollar!
- All coins were struck at the Philadelphia Mint.
It is believed that this scarce variety came about as the result of a request by Jackie Kennedy herself. It seems she did not like the design of he hair on the President's bust and asked (some say demanded) that it be revised. The U.S. Mint obliged and added a few strands above the President's ear. It is estimated that as few as 1% of 1964 proof silver half dollars are the accent hair variety. It can take some practice to distinguish the difference in hairstyles, but there is an easier way - the bottom left serif on the "I" in "Liberty" is nearly gone on the Accent Hair and full size ( when compared to the other serifs) on the regular issue.
All the coins in these sets are in choice proof condition and come housed in their original government "Flat Pack" cellophane holder and envelope.